Sunday, December 21, 2014

Tablets

              Technology is constantly evolving and school computers have to keep up with the technology change.  Tablets are a new thing with schools and some people like them and others don’t.  I personally don’t like our school’s tablets because it is a lot easier using a computer and a mouse to get stuff done, but I do like them because I can use a stylist and write on a virtual homework assignment instead of using so much paper.  It all depends on the type of person you are. 
                A table can be a hassle because if you want to use a keyboard with it, it takes time to set up and sometimes it doesn’t even work.  What about the whole battery situation?  Most computers are constantly plugged in so students don’t have to worry about running low on battery and having to plug in their computer.  With tablets I find myself constantly checking the bottom screen to see how much battery percentage I have left.  It would be bad if my tablet shutdown on me because of a low battery and then my work wouldn’t be saved.       
                What about the whole touch screen situation?  Some people naturally have larger fingers than others and it is hard to click on a certain thing if your finger covers at lot more things than just that individual icon.  There is the option of the stylist, which is very handy.  I love my stylist because it allows to actually write on a program as if I was using a pencil and if I needed to erase what I just wrote, all I would have to do is use the tip of the other end of the stylist like a normal pencil and erase.  There is also the nasty part of having sticky fingers when eating and using a computer or tablet and getting the screen all smudgy or if using a computer the mouse and keyboard would get yucky.  To avoid that situation with both things of technology, I would say just stay away from eating while using them.  Eating can always wait for later and could be a distraction if multitasking. 
                Tablets are portable.  It is so much easier having tablets in a class room than having the class go to a computer lab.  Tablets don’t have to have connection cords and can be transported anywhere.  Computers on the other hand have a lot more accessories that could be troublesome when trying to relocate.
                There are normally plug-ins if a person decided to have a mouse with their table or a keyboard, it just depends on how much a person is willing to spend on a wireless keyboard or extra add-ons.
                As I have been writing this post I have realized that tablets are in reality very efficient and possibly even better than a computer.  I guess it all depends on what each person prefers.  I read this page about the pros and cons and I could say that it evens up between computers and tablets.  Eventually computers will just be a thing of the past and tablets will take over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment